Ultimate Blog Hop!

Hello one and all! If this is your first time visiting the ole' Jonesie then please let me explain a little. I write on a variety of topics. (basically whatever may pop into my head or even whatever rant I have for the day.) Some things are a little out there, I admit. But honestly, I have spent so much of my life worrying about what others think that when I finally released myself from the "rules and roles of society" I really began to find myself. So, my request is that you read more than just one post before you decide. I promise somewhere along the way I am sure you will say what so many others have said at one time or another: Jonesie, you simply say what others only think in their heads!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Charles has a new hat these days!

The days slowly ticked by as if time itself dreaded the inevitable fact that Chris and Charles would spend an entire week together.  A week of sleeping in uncomfortable quarters, eating less than appetizing meals and worse facing the brutal Texas heat.  

I still recall the day that Charles announced he would go to camp with Chris. He had just returned home from a long run at the railroad and stood before me listening to me recount events that had happened during the time he had been gone.  As parents it had become habit for us to take a few moments to get each other on the same page especially where the children are concerned so that we remain a united front even if the other is absent.  This generally stops the whimpers of but mom said or the very loud WHAT!! BUT DAD SAID! that seemed to find our ears a bit too much in the earlier years.

On this particular day I was explaining the upcoming plans for summer camp with the Boy Scout Troop and the fact that the scoutmaster had put out a slightly desperate request for help to meet the adult/boy ratio required.  Honestly, I was complaining that I was disappointed that I could not offer my usual help and cover at least one day when out of nowhere I heard a deep voice firmly say I will switch my vacation and go.  

I quickly picked up my bottom jaw that had dropped on the floor and looked at Charles.  There he stood in our living room all exhausted from work with his hands on his hips and quite a firm look planted on his face.  In fact it was so firm that I simply nodded my head.   

(For those of you that don't know/realize Charles is a very laid back individual who rarely makes up his mind on anything. Often he just lets the decisions be made for him and then simply follows.  He completely hates confrontation and his idea of avoiding it is to let everyone else make the decisions.)

Well, after the initial shock of his statement wore off preparations for camp began.  Tents, cots, and footlockers were packed. Bug spray was bought and training began.  WAIT!  Training???  Yes, in his infinite wisdom Charles did not realize that by stepping up and attending camp the scoutmaster had Charles right where he has wanted him all these years; in a leadership role and of course where there are scouts training is not far behind!

So, now Charles has a new hat to wear titled Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 345.  Seeing is believing! The evidence is below with him sporting his new uniform while leading the boys at camp a few weeks ago. 
I can't help but think that only time will tell what type of 
trouble errrr... fun Charles will have to share with these boys! 
(But he does look good in his uniform!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on! Make my day! Even a measly word or two can make me smile! Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...