Ultimate Blog Hop!

Hello one and all! If this is your first time visiting the ole' Jonesie then please let me explain a little. I write on a variety of topics. (basically whatever may pop into my head or even whatever rant I have for the day.) Some things are a little out there, I admit. But honestly, I have spent so much of my life worrying about what others think that when I finally released myself from the "rules and roles of society" I really began to find myself. So, my request is that you read more than just one post before you decide. I promise somewhere along the way I am sure you will say what so many others have said at one time or another: Jonesie, you simply say what others only think in their heads!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Time in San Antonio --- Another Great Memory Added To My Collection

Well, it’s another cold morning here in San Antonio, TX.
Not quite as cold as yesterday I will admit but still cold enough for me to sit here with my little electric heater going full blast by my feet as I dive into the deep nether regions of my mind.


This really wouldn’t be such a bad thing except that it is only 9 something in the morning on a SATURDAY! As if I wanted to add to that disturbing fact I must let you in on the fact that I was up bright and early yesterday morning about 5am! Am I mad you ask? It’s quite possible that could be true but not on this particular subject.


You see all week school children and parents across the area have been glued to each and every weather report for the last week.

Children were praying for snow and parents were praying for no school closures (at least most of them). I was one of the few parents praying for snow. Not enough to cause problems or get anyone hurt but yet enough for the kids to get out and play in.


I truly think that I had good reasoning behind my wishes even if it only makes sense in my own mind. When we moved our family to San Antonio from Brazoria I feel my abilities for being a strong, encouraging, upbeat, adventurous mom were truly challenged. I remember driving into San Antonio and seeing the city limits sign come into view. The population sign stated 2 million plus! My eyes almost popped out of my head while my heart felt like it was going into convulsions. I actually had to pull the truck over to the side of the road and stop causing the caravan of vehicles helping us move to also pull over and stop. Sheer panic was streaking throughout my body and for the next several minutes I could hardly breathe while my hubby attempted to assure me that everything would be fine. All I could think about was the fact that I had never lived in a town with more than a few thousand people.

Well, here it is almost 8 years later and I must say that the family has settled in quite well. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else right now. The only problem is that same year we moved here our old town we had moved from received a few inches of snow! Boy the kids were pissed! Since then the old home town got snow another year too while all we got in San Antonio was ice! So, maybe now it makes sense why I was one of the few parents actually hoping for snow this past week.

With all of this you can imagine how happy I was yesterday morning when I peered out the window into the darkness and saw snow! I quickly ran to Chris’ room and woke him up as calmly as I could. The two of us ran to the window and I was ever so happy to point out snow to my son who had been hoping and hoping for snow because he had never seen it. His eyes sparkled and a he ran for his sister. Megan was just as happy to see snow for the first time.
For the next hour or so I was able to keep them at bay telling them we had to wait for daylight.
Of course at the first peek-a-boo of light they were eagerly receiving instructions from me on how to correctly layer clothing for the best optimal warmth. The three of us looked like the giant marshmallow man in the old Ghostbusters movie!


Our two dogs weren’t exempt from the excitement as we walked out the back door. I must admit even I had a feeling of giddiness as I took in the view of our mini winter wonderland!




The walkway around our pool was covered in a beautiful blanket of white snow which the dogs quickly ran to explore.




Sassie Dog (my 3lb Yorkie) really wasn’t quite sure what to think of all the white stuff. She couldn’t seem to get over the fact that it was so cold on her little feet and seemed to be yelling at me with her barks.


Moon Dog our much larger mix breed dog went crazy running through the yard yipping and picking up snow in her mouth only to throw it up in the air and try to catch it. I did get her to stop long enough to pose for her a picture with her human (Chris).

The dogs were put back in the house so that we could go around front because I wanted a picture of my house in the snow.



The site was even prettier than it had been a couple of hours earlier in the dark.






The kids were kind enough to oblige and I got a couple of really great pictures.



I even got a couple of great videos of them sliding down the driveway!

All in all it was a fantastic morning and I am so glad to have yet another 
great memory to add to my collection!

2 comments:

  1. Janet,
    I am glad you enjoyed the sight of snow and the joy of not having to leave your comfy home. Its the little things that make life wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy! It was really a lot of fun! Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Make my day! Even a measly word or two can make me smile! Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...