Ultimate Blog Hop!

Hello one and all! If this is your first time visiting the ole' Jonesie then please let me explain a little. I write on a variety of topics. (basically whatever may pop into my head or even whatever rant I have for the day.) Some things are a little out there, I admit. But honestly, I have spent so much of my life worrying about what others think that when I finally released myself from the "rules and roles of society" I really began to find myself. So, my request is that you read more than just one post before you decide. I promise somewhere along the way I am sure you will say what so many others have said at one time or another: Jonesie, you simply say what others only think in their heads!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday and the Meaning of the Easter Eggs

Well, this may surprise many of you but I fully and completely believe in God and His son Jesus Christ. They have been a powerful point in my life and I truthfully couldn't have gotten through many things in my life without them.

Let me tell you 2 stories about my beliefs. 

Story #1
I was in Sunday school and pregnant with my son.(He was my 3rd.)  So, here I was a grown woman and I was attending a small country baptist church that I had gone to since I was 16.  It was the one I chose to attend after my Granddad passed away and I wanted to continue going to church but did not like the old one.

Anyways, I was sitting in Sunday school class when the teacher asked us if we talked to God. Of course we all said yes, we pray. Well, he said no. Do you talk to God?  Confusing us all he explained that so many people think of God as this unreachable figure that we can only "pray" to.  When in fact we can talk to Him.  So the lesson was for the week to go home and talk to God. 

The next Sunday we all compared notes and found out that our relationship with God had actually grown stronger.  Ever since then I have talked to God and I have built quite a relationship with Him.  He is my friend now and not just a figure I am supposed to get all holy rolly with and bow and all that mumbo jumbo.  My relationship with Him is real.  He knows me (after all He created me right?) and He knows my flaws.  So, if I cuss once in a while or if I get pissy at the world He still loves me. 


Story #2
All my life I was taken to church by my great grandfather. He fully believed that we should be exposed to the church and believing in God.  He especially wanted us in Sunday School every Sunday.

So, having had that exposure I have gone to church off and on all my life. When my son Chris was born he was a preemie and honestly they did not know if he would live or die. I spent the first 2 weeks of his life visiting him in the NICU unit everyday.  After taking many classes and him passing a few milestones he was sent home on a heart monitor and a breathing machine. All was well for a week or so but then he went right back with RSV. 

Long story short at 6 months of age I was totally mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted with life and all I was responsible for.  I sat my son down in the middle of the floor in the living room and had my first nervous breakdown.  I begged God to help my little boy and believe it or not He did. I had an overwhelming feeling I was to take his monitors off and that he was to never use them again.  Of course friends, family and the Dr. thought I was nuts.  But honestly I believed.  And I will tell you that to this day (he is nearly 14 years of age) the boy has never had a breathing problem or any type of seizure at all.  He has been the healthiest of all 4 of my kids.



Conclusion: 
So, the point of this post is to say HEY! I believe in Jesus Christ and His Father.  Jesus hung on the cross (today in fact is the day of remembrance for this called Good Friday) and he rose again on the third day. 


So, Sunday when you are all hunting eggs with your kids please think about the explaining to them that the significance of the eggs are not really the commercial aspect of finding them yada yada but really they are representing NEW LIFE. 




Jonesie~~

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That was really good. I always knew you believed in God (God created everything, including cussing.) but these are two very good examples of how you believe. Thank you for sharing. I have been struggling with faith and religion the past few years. Oh, don't get me wrong! I absolutely believe in God and Jesus! I just struggle with what the church (organized religion) has done to our world. Whole countries killing each other in the name of God! Man has screwed up from the beginning, and religion is no different. I have profound faith that when we ALL get to Heaven (my belief) that God will shake his head and say, "You all screwed this up, but I love you anyway! Welcome home!" That is what we are trying to teach Frederick. Religions aren't perfect, God is; follow him and you can't go wrong. Sorry for writing a book on your post. I just really liked that you posted this. I love hearing why people believe what they do. I hope that you have a wonderful Easter and that your family stays well! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these two powerful stories. I grew up similarly (Not going to church was NOT an option) and have struggled to find a relationship with God that was my own, not what my parents had built for me. I am still working on it, but I feel closer to God every day. =)

    ReplyDelete

Come on! Make my day! Even a measly word or two can make me smile! Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...